Wednesday 5 December 2012

Kidlit Blog Hop #6 Forbidden Foods

Hi Everyone, welcome back to the Kidlit Blog hop. Head on over to http://motherdaughterbookreviews.com/kid-lit-blog-hop-6/ to leave comments and get to know people.

WARNING TODAYS POST MAY CAUSE A 
"PIZZA CRAVING"

A few weeks ago I did a post about the names I used in "Escape From The Forbidden Planet," after I had a some cool comments about them so, I thought I would explain their origins.

Which brings me to my next bout of inspiration. 
" FORBIDDEN FOODS"
(well not forbidden but from Escape From The Forbidden Planet foods, but you get the drift)

For anyone who has read my book you may notice that there is quite alot of chatter about Caramel cakes, Pizza, Cinnamon Apple ciders and Mulberry pie. I even had one reviewer tell me that she had to take her husband out for pizza the night she finished my book, as the pizza craving by the end was unbearable. 

Warning the next image may cause a "Pizza Craving".


Fresh Home Made Pizza with "Julianna Sauce"


In the story, Caramel visits her buddy Jorde at his parent's pizza shop. Mrs Oregano is busy making a pot of fresh "Julianna Sauce". So you may be wondering, just exactly what are the secret ingredients of this delicious sauce and why they made it into my book.

Well, Julianna sauce does actually exist, coined by myself and my husband because it is a mish mash recipe that i made up myself but it has become our staple pizza base sauce.  So enough chatter, here it is.

"Julianna Sauce Recipe"
4 Cloves of Garlic, a glug of olive oil, 2 bottles ( 600g) of Passata, 1 tin of diced tomatoes, 2 glugs of red wine, 1 glug of port, a huge bunch of Italian Parsley, a huge bunch of Basil, 1 tsp of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of chilli powder.

In a moderate pan, fry the garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes until translucent,then add in the passata, tinned tomatoes, red wine, port, parsley, basil, sugar and chilli powder. Bring to a simmer and let bubble away for about an hour until it is thick. Stir occasionally. Freeze into tubs for future pizza shenanigans or glug over chicken schnitzel with jarlsberg cheese.

So why Sticky Date and Chocolate Cake with Caramel Cardamom Syrup. Well it is an actual recipe from a Tupperware cookbook called Cook. I can't obviously detail the recipe but it is as good as it sounds, with a little embellishment of adding cardamom to the caramel sauce. That was for the book lol. It is a cake that I have often made for family occasions and it is a hit every time.

So why Cinnamon Apple Cider. Well that is a slight embellishment from a Caramel Apple Spice drink that you can get at Starbucks. I used to travel extensively through the UK and US and the one thing that I wish we could get in Australia was a real Caramel Apple Spice. Sadly we just don't do them here but I of course had to put them in my book.

So why Mulberry Pie. I have to say that mulberries are so rarely seen on the supermarket shelves in Australia but when we were kids there were mulberry trees in every second back yard. They are divine and much sweeter than a blackberry. I miss them greatly but I think they leave alot of purple bird poop over cars and houses so mulberry trees are not so common. My parents have a air chalet in the country ( sounds very swish but its not really) and my Dad is itching to plant a mulberry, however the neighbours would probably complain. One day I will have a mulberry pie again, fingers crossed.


But wait, one more thing.


Be sure to check it out.
"Escape From The Forbidden Planet"


And here is my cover.....again...




Thanks for stopping by and see you in the blogosphere, Julie Anne Grasso


3 comments:

  1. Wow, your pizza sauce sounds delicious. I was already craving stuffed pizza tonight, now I'm certain that will be our dinner tonight. :) Thank you so much for the heads up about your book on Kindle. My daughter loves reading on the kindle. We will be sure to check yours out tonight! So glad I found you from the Kid Lit Blog Hop this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha!! It's the PORT! You....

    We do salivate over the food in the book! We are just over a third of the way through.

    Have a wonderful week and thank you for linking your secrets into the Kid Lit Blog Hop. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is on my to-read list. I love books that feature food and sweets. I'll be sure to read it only at night in bed, that way I won't go looking for treats. LOL! Thanks for linking to the Kid Lit Blog Hop. =)

    ReplyDelete